1. Leave all of your problems about family, work and relationships at the door. My coach says to see yourself opening a box and putting your problems in that box. Then close the lid.
2. Leave your ego and feelings at the door. You’re there to learn… there will be many things you’re not doing correctly. You don’t know what it really is supposed to feel like, so don’t say things like, “It doesn’t feel right.”
3. Come in as a blank slate. Don’t try to do everything you learned on the previous lesson and this lesson at the same time. Just do what the teacher is telling you to do today.
4. Enjoy the learning experience. Even if it seems completely different from what you learned the week before. There’s a reason your teacher is going there. Accept and enjoy what comes out.
5. As you leave the studio open your box and take out everything that you put in. If you don’t take the issues out, then your subconscious mind will not let you put them away again. Your subconscious needs to know that when it’s time you will deal with issues… just not when you’re taking a dance lesson.
I would like to hear from all of you. What tips assist you when taking or teaching a lesson?